Sunday, 11 March 2012
Just help but feel the type on my posters needed more work so I fired up InDesign again and began messing. Here, to make the headings stand out, I have made them the colour used in the image behind. I am going to make small changes, bit by bit, see how different things work.
Here some photos of my research book. I have chosen to use a black and white version of Trapcode Form over two unique collages, which were created for this purpose. The wrap around contrasts against the covers with simple and minimalist features and tidy text. There are two versions because I made a mistake when exporting the first for print, causing the page numbers to be misplaced. 15 quid down the drain. A good lesson in double checking before sending to print I suppose.
Tuesday, 6 March 2012
I am really happy with the result of this project. I have enjoyed getting to grips with using a screen based application like After Effects to create interesting print work. I think I will be using it in future for this purpose. I find After Effects far more intuitive for the creation of visuals, than other software such as Photoshop and Illustrator. As long as you take the time to work out what size composition is required in AE, in relation to the document size for printing, the result is clean and clear, with a high resolution.
The concept was to capture the fact that the Ministry of Sound club is a sensory experience. It uses the audiences senses to captivate them, and take them on a over night journey into the unknown. My poster designs use the senses sight, hearing, and taste, as a basis. Rather than just using images of eyes, ears, and mouths, I wanted something stranger. The text is positioned to give the idea of each sense being bombarded with the lineup for each month. I decided to create these in 3D, as this gives a better result in Trapcode Form because of the real life shadows, than creating the scene using 3D text in within After Effects.
With this project I have tried to capture a feeling of excitement and captivation with chaotically arranged collages which are, at first, hard to recognize, but upon closer inspection, reveal the underlying concept. Bold, bright, contrasting colour have been used to quickly grab the viewers attention and cause curiosity, making the viewer question what the image really is. The Trapcode Form string grid, used to mould the collages in After Effects, is fitting because of its visual similarity to a sound wave and the lasers used within the club, but was used mainly because it was the grid setting that worked most successfully over text.
The fact these still images where created in After Effects, means that there are huge possibilities for this visual concept to be placed on to screen. All aspects of the project could easily be translated into exciting moving graphics that would also be fitting for the club. These could be played on screen during events, as well as pushed into interactive applications maybe using movies within Flash, who knows?
Looking back, there isn't to much I would change about this projects development. Although I did like my original concept of sound reactive graphics used to create the posters, linking the sounds of the club to the visuals, it lost something in the fact that viewers might never know how the posters where created, making the main idea a bit redundant. With this in mind, if the project consisted of some kind of accompanying video, it may have made sense. With more time for development, I would like to refine the collages used as layer masks for Trapcode Form. With more experimenting, I think I could of achieved a variety of different effects, with more possibilities to choose from in the end.
I think thats a wrap. Just need to finish designing and putting together my research book, which will be a printed version of this blog. It is way nicer to have all of my research and development in a book that I have designed, and can hold, than to simply have it displayed on screen. Chocks away!
Sunday, 4 March 2012
Reckon' thats it for the posters. I could go round and round forever rearranging stuff. I really like these layouts and colour combinations. I decided to have, rather than a semi transparent back drop for the copy, a mostly solid shape to contrast against the main image.
Friday, 2 March 2012
Thursday, 1 March 2012
Here some designs that try to address the problem of difficult to read main copy. One uses a semi transparent banner placed behind the copy. This darkens the green background a little so the text contrasts better. The other uses a slight gradient that spreads out from the middle outwards, from black to transparent. I have had to set the solid containing the gradient to multiply, which darkens the whole image a bit. Not good.